LED or XENON?
How to find the right technology for indication, warning or alarming
Both LED and XENON light technology are used for visual signaling devices. Neither is fundamentally better than the other.
However, depending on the application one option could generally be more suitable.
When taking into consideration the characteristic features of the two technologies it is possible to make an objective decision about which can or even must be used.
Performance characteristics of LED and XENON technology:
The specific characteristics of the two technologies indicate in which applications LED solutions are more advantageous and in which XENON should be used. As the illustration below shows, a clear distinction is not possible.
- LED Technology
- Accurate light direction with a sharply defined radiation angle
- Different modes (permanent, blinking or flashing)
- Optional brightness adjustment
- Long flash sequences
- Life cycle approx. 50,000 operating hours
- XENON Technology
- Omni directional radiation characteristics
- Flash mode with selectable frequency
- Maximum brightness
- Short flash duration
- Life cycle approx. 10 million flashes
How LED and XENON technology is used for different signaling types
Both technologies have their justification within the market. However, the characteristics of low energy consumption and superior energy balance often mentioned in connection with LED technology, must always be considered in terms of application.
> LED technology is the best technology where smaller signaling devices are required in continuous operations and smaller spaces.
> XENON offers many advantages for signaling emergencies in larger spaces.
Step by step to a safe solution
How to find the right solution for your application:
- Create an exact description of your application
- Note down all the conditions, pre-requisites and requirements of your application
- Select the type of signaling: to inform, warn or alert
- Use our 3D-Coverage planning method and configure your solution with Pfannenberg’s cost-free PSS Software